Tuesday, February 14, 2012

The Call Home

Steve Trembley 2012 D.R.

I called my wife the other day, to just see what was new.
She also asked me how I was, and what was new here too.

I said “I‘m at the beach right now, and just had beans and rice,
And chicken, fish and pork chops, and it was very nice.

The water at the beach here is clean and warm and wet.
The sun is shining brightly, as good as it can get.

There is a nude beach down the way, (I think I heard her groan.)
And also Happy Birthday! I hate that you’re alone.

And now I’ll put my sunscreen on, and take a little nap”
Then all at once the phone went dead. I heard a little snap!

“Hello, hello,” I said to her. “Are you still there my dear?”
She said “I hit the phone real hard, to hurt your little ear.”

“Thank you for your input!” she said quite high and loud.
“I hope that you are happy, within your little crowd.”

It’s not so nice here. A limb fell from afar,
And knocked off several shingles, and then landed on the car.

The chickens have stopped laying eggs. The dog’s are out of food.
The cat has not been seen for days. Nothing here is good.

The mice are running rampant, invading all our stuff.
And squirrels are in the attic. I say “enough’s enough!”

The horses really miss you. I wave as I drive by.
But I think that they will be okay. I don’t think horses cry.

“Perhaps you’re just exaggerating”, I said. “I can’t believe it’s true.
With all the wildlife problems, it sounds more like a zoo.”

“The plumbing and the wiring”, she said, “have seen much better days.”
“The dishwasher is broken. I eat on plastic trays.”

“The washer and the dryer are shot. We’re even out of wood.
Nothing works around this house, exactly as it should.”

“It must be like the DR. I don’t know what to do.
Can you tell that I’m not happy? What was your initial clue?”

“I’m thinking of a new house and perhaps a car as well.
Mercedes makes some real nice ones. I love that new car smell.”

“I hope your work has gone real well, and you are glad that you have went.
But when you ever get back here home, your money will be spent.”

“So, please come home as soon as you can. I also miss you, too.
You’re needed here in Kansas. You have a lot to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment